Police FAQ


The city requires peddlers/solicitors to register with the city. As a property owner, you can prevent door-to-door salespersons from coming to your home by posting a “No Solicitation” sign near your door.

Parking and Noise Ordinances

For more information on the parking and noise ordinances see the link below.

Abandoned Vehicles

Abandoned or junked vehicle complaints are handled on a case-by-case basis. Report the information to police by calling 911 or 952-258-5321 and they will have an officer investigate the situation.

Block Parties

You must first read through the rules and complete both Appendix A and the Request for Barricades forms.  The signature portion of Appendix A must be signed by ALL property owners affected by the barricades.  If your event is occurring on National Night Out, all paperwork is due at least two weeks prior to the event date.  Please read through the rules carefully and call if you have any questions.  Depending on the type of event and what you have planned, additional paperwork may be required.

Vehicle Accidents

You need to contact the Police Department (911) if a personal injury is involved, or there is public property damaged in the crash. Police do not have to be contacted for minor property damage accidents. However, if you feel that an officer’s presence is desirable, please call 911 and explain the situation to the dispatcher. (Example: the other driver does not have insurance or proper Identification, or appears to be under the influence of a controlled substance.)

It is required that you file a report with the State of Minnesota if the total damage between both vehicles exceeds $1,000. These report forms are available online or at the Police Department.

Pet Licenses and Animal Control

For more information on pet licenses and New Hope Animal Control see the link below.

Calling 911

911 and the Non-Emergency number (952-258-5321) both go to our dispatch center operated by the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office. 

It is advised to call 911 for both emergencies and non-emergencies, anytime you need a police, fire, or EMS response or service. If your call is not an emergency, just advise the dispatcher of that and they will put you on hold if necessary. If you're calling from outside of New Hope, you may reach our dispatch center directly by calling the Non-Emergency number 24/7. 

You may reach the New Hope Police Department Administration and Records for copies of police reports, parking permits, or general non-urgent questions at 763-531-5170 during office hours. 

Juvenile Curfew

In Hennepin County there is a county-wide curfew ordinance for anyone under 18.  The curfew was designed to protect children and teens from being involved in, or victimized by, crime during nighttime hours. 

Under 12 Sunday through Thursday - Home by 9 p.m.
Friday and Saturdays - Home by 10 p.m.
Ages 12-14 Sunday through Thursday - Home by 10 p.m.
Friday and Saturdays - Home by 11 p.m.
Ages 15-17 Sunday through Thursday - Home by 11 p.m.
Friday and Saturdays - Home by 12:01 a.m.

There are exceptions for employment, school, religious observances, sponsored recreational activities, emergencies, errands at the direction of a parent or guardian and engaging in activities protected by the First Amendment.  The law applies if the child is any public place after curfew hours including walking, biking, and driving a vehicle.

If young people are in a public place or business after the above hours without a parent, guardian, or other responsible adult, the police may give them a ticket. A public place means any place to which the public or a substantial group of the public has access and includes, streets, highways, and common areas of schools, hospitals, apartment houses, office buildings, transport facilities and shops. 

Additional curfew ordinance information can be found on the website of the Hennepin County Attorney by following the link below.

Alarm Registration

New Hope City Ordinance requires that all business and residential property owners register their alarm systems. 

  • Businesses are required to re-register their alarm systems by January 31 of each year and pay a $25 fee.
  • Residential alarm owners are only required to register their system once and pay a one-time fee of $25 unless they drop and reinstate service, change service providers, or sell their property. Residential alarm users should contact the city promptly if their contact or key holder information changes.

The alarm ordinance limits alarm users to three false alarms within a 12-month period without penalty. An alarm user who has not registered their alarm system and has a false alarm, however, is charged $100 per false alarm until they register their system.

Alarm registration is handled by City Hall. For more information please call 763-531-5130.

Below are links to the alarm registration forms. 


New Hope Police Department
4401 Xylon Avenue North
New Hope, MN 55428



Non-Emergency Dispatch:



Fax: 763-531-5174

Office Hours:

8am to 6pm Monday-Friday
10am-2pm Saturday
CLOSED Sundays and Holidays