City of New Hope Logo

City of New HopeMinnesota

Animal Control

Lost or Found Pets

Pet owners who have lost or found an animal should contact the New Hope Police at 763-531-5170 or after hours at 952-258-5321, and the city’s pet impound facility PUPS at 763-494-5999. All attempts will be made to return a stray pet with a license on its collar to the owner. Unidentified stray animals with no license will be brought to the PUPS facility. If you are missing a pet that may have been brought to PUPS you can follow the link below to see photos of unidentified strays.

Anyone who finds a stray pet in New Hope should call police at 911 or 952-258-5321.  An officer will be sent to pick up the animal.

Animal Licensing

In the city, all dogs, cats, and ferrets must be licensed with the city and currently vaccinated for rabies.  When applying for a license, proof of vaccination (a certificate from a licensed veterinarian) must be provided indicating that animals have received vaccination for rabies.  It is required by law that dogs, cats, and ferrets be vaccinated for rabies to protect themselves as well as others. 


When pets are outside their owner’s home, they have to be leashed or within a fenced yard or kennel. If they can crawl under or climb over the fence, they must be leashed within the yard. When pets are in parks or other public areas, they must be leashed at all times.


There are many techniques that you can use to persuade wild animals to stay away from your property if you do not want them there.  Here are just a few techniques that can be used to remove any sources of food or shelter on your property. 


  • If you have a fireplace be sure to place secure caps on your chimney and keep the damper closed when not in use. 
  • Place heavy gauge wire mesh (chicken wire or hardware cloth with one quarter inch mesh) around and under decks, sheds and gardens.  The mesh should be buried 6-12 inches and bent in an L-shape with at least eight inches going away from the structure.  Be sure not to lock any animals, especially young, in behind the mesh. 
  • Do not store garbage and recycle bins outside, at least not at night.  The odors from these containers will attract animals even if they cannot gain access to the container.
  • Place portable grills inside at night.  The odor from grilled food will attract animals.
  • Remove or relocate wood, brush and compost piles. 
  • Stack firewood neatly and elevate the stack at least a foot off the ground.
  • Do not leave pet food out overnight.  Pick up any spilled food.
  • If you feed birds try to keep any spilled seed to a minimum.  To prevent mammals from accessing the feeders place the pole at least six feet from any surface (ground, deck, tree branch) from which a mammal could jump onto the feeder.  Place conical shaped baffles on the feeder pole to prevent a mammal from climbing up to the feeders.   

We are quite often asked to provide assistance with deer eating garden plants.  Signs of deer browsing include ragged, torn tips of twigs and plants, often at heights above three feet.  Male deer, bucks, will rub their antlers on tree trunks and sturdy shrubs during the fall breeding season or rut.  This serves to rub off the soft velvet covering of the antlers and to mark their territories.  This action can damage the plant by stripping the bark off.  Landscape design can be one way to limit the effects of deer browsing.  Native plants tend to be less affected by browsing than are cultivated plants.  There are several commercially produced chemical sprays which are sold to repel deer and other animals.  They have received mixed reviews on their effectiveness.  The sprays usually have to be reapplied after heavy rains.  Some homemade solutions have also been reported as effective, including a mix of one egg, scrambled in a quart of water.  Having a dog present may also help deter deer from your yard.  The most effective and permanent way to protect landscape plants is with fencing.  The fencing can consist of high-tensile strands wired to solid posts, woven mesh chain link or electric wiring.  Deer can jump up to 10-15 feet but generally do not jump unless stressed.  If other forage is available they will direct their attention there instead of going over a fence.  Deer are very wary and will avoid areas where they feel threatened or insecure.

Animal Control can assist you in determining the best strategy for your yard.  We will respond as soon as possible to calls if there is a sick or injured animal or if the animal has bitten; please call dispatch at 911 or 952-258-5321 and an officer will be sent to assist.  We can also come to your home and offer advice on wildlife related issues.  If a wild animal has entered the living space of your home Animal Control may be able to help capture it and release it outside the home or help to chase it back outside.

Please remember that it is illegal to discharge any firearm (including BB and pellet guns), slingshots and bow and arrow within city limits.  The use of poisons outside your house is also prohibited.  Trapping is not recommended because there is no suitable place to relocate the animal.  It is a violation to relocate an animal to a new property without the approval of that property’s owner.  If trap and relocate is done and if the actions mentioned above to exclude the animal are not taken another one will find its way to your property.  Excluding them is the best method for long-term success.

Number of Pets Allowed

A New Hope residence may have no more than three dogs and three cats or three each of other traditional family pets over six months old.

Direct Contact:

Animal Control Officer Tom Mahan
[email protected]  
(please call 911 or 952-258-5321 for Animal Control services)


New Hope Police Department
4401 Xylon Avenue North
New Hope, MN 55428



Non-Emergency Dispatch:



Fax: 763-531-5174

Office Hours:

8am to 6pm Monday-Friday
10am-2pm Saturday
CLOSED Sundays and Holidays

City of New Hope | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.